The Lodge

There’s murder in the air

Can you solve the mystery of the new high school play?

A group of actors, directors and a producer are meeting together at a financial supporter’s house in 1940 in upstate New York to perform their play in hopes of getting financial support to perform it on Broadway. While at the house, everyone gets trapped inside by a snowstorm that mysteriously appears that night. Stranded, strange things begin to happen, and people start to disappear. Now, it’s a matter of figuring out who’s responsible.

Drama, comedy and a murder-mystery are combined to produce “The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940.” Director of theatre arts Mrs. Karen Dean is excited for the new play, especially the special effects.

“There’s a lot of special effects and getting them right will make the play look really awesome,” Mrs. Dean said, “and the kids are so ready to get it exactly right.”

Sophomore Keira Baker is also excited about the play and hopes it will pull a bigger audience because of the mystery surrounding who the murderer is.

“If you like figuring out who did what, come see it,” Baker said. “If you like solving problems, and you’re a problem solver, come see the play.”

“The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940” is different from previous middle and upper school performances because it is a play with an interior set and not a typical musical, despite what the title suggests.

“It’s very different,” Mrs. Dean said. “It’s an interior set, which is very different from anything we’ve done this year. It’s just a totally different feel to the play.”

The play not only has a new set, but some new thespians as well. Wanting to be involved more in the St. George’s community, sophomore Miles Masters decided to try out for a play for the first time and scored a part in “The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940” as Eddie McCuen.

“I thought it would be a nice community to be a part of because I’m not really in that many things at St. George’s right now,” Miles said.

Masters has been practicing this play for so long that he can no longer appreciate its jokes, but he thinks that people watching for the first time will enjoy the play’s comedy.

“To me, it’s stale because I’ve been doing it for three weeks,” Miles said, “but to the people who watch it, it will probably be really funny.”

The high school play opened Thursday, April 12 and will be performed again on Friday, April 13 at 7 pm and Saturday, April 14 at 3 pm at the St. George’s Germantown Campus. If you want to test your skills as a criminal detective, watch “The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940” this weekend.