The student voice of St. George's Independent School.

The Lodge

The Lodge

The Lodge

Hot Chocolates Ranked

The perfect guide to the perfect drink for this cold, snowy season

As we start to feel the cold in these recent snow days, a nice steaming cup of hot cocoa could be what you’re craving to warm up. Don’t you worry, reader. I, as a staff member of the Lodge, tried many different recipes that each took under 10 minutes so that I could rank the best recipes for you to consider making in this cold season.
I will structure these rankings from my personal least favorite to my favorite including hot chocolates you might have already tried as baselines for comparison (Swiss Miss packets and Starbucks).
The last important thing to know is that I am a chocolate lover and a sucker for creamy hot chocolate so keep that in mind with my least favorite pick first. . .

#7 – (Swiss Miss packets) – 4/10
While it is quick, super easy and guaranteed to be hot enough to burn the tip of your tongue, swiss miss packets rank as my worst pick for hot chocolates. While there is nostalgia and convenience in this choice, the taste lacks intensity, and I find marshmallows and heat are the only saving grace to enjoy it.
#6 – Hot Cocoa (Gesine Bullock-Prado, Food Network) – 5/10
With a mix of Mexican chocolate and bittersweet chocolate, I really did enjoy this recipe as it differed from any other hot chocolate I had tried before, but I found that following the recipe, the multiple chocolates and other ingredients were less cohesive and separated, bringing a different taste to each sip. One sip brought cinnamon spice with the next without. Also following the recipe, the temperature would end up warm without the heat you need for hot chocolate. For the work of chopping up both kinds of chocolate and measuring everything out, I didn’t find the nice cup of hot cocoa worth it.
#5 – Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipe (Natasha Kravchuk, Natasha’s Kitchen) – 5.5/10
A recipe with a semisweet chocolate flavor, I found it easy, fairly quick and a pretty great hot chocolate to relax by a fire with. The problem? It wasn’t anything special. Above average, absolutely, but it did not bring depth to its taste, and these upcoming recipes went too above and beyond to rate it any higher on my list.
#4 – Starbucks – 7/10
Starbucks offers a pretty incredible hot chocolate, but it involves an icy car trip to your closest Starbucks and a cost above what it would take to make it yourself. In times like recently when you find yourself stuck snowed in, your hot chocolate craving cannot be met with Starbucks offerings. So my advice: if you’re stopping by a Starbucks, think about purchasing the hot chocolate. If you’re just craving a hot chocolate, try any of these upcoming recipes.
#3 – Parisian Hot Chocolate (Le Chocolat Chaud) (Kimberly Killebrew, The Daring Gourmet) – 8/10
Here’s where personal preference comes into play. This recipe makes a dark, Parisian hot chocolate that is rich in chocolatey flavor but drops some of the creamy texture common to our American hot cocoas. I love that rich flavor, but it might be too much for some. So keep in mind, as it calls for 3 ounces of dark or bittersweet chocolate, I don’t recommend this if you aren’t a chocolate fiend. If you are, it’s really good.
#2 – Homemade Hot Chocolate (Allison, Celebrating Sweets) – 9.5/10
This recipe brought a creamy, chocolatey flavor with depth. Practically perfect, this is the recipe for all hot chocolate lovers, not too rich for any while retaining that chocolate flavor. Highly recommended with an easy, quick process and easy-to-find ingredients.
#1 – Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipe (Hot Cocoa) (Laura, Joy Food Sunshine) – 10/10
This recipe with bittersweet chocolate was absolutely perfect. With a rich yet non-overwhelming chocolate flavor and creamy texture, I love love love this recipe. The process was easy as can be and the ingredients were again easy to find in the store and my pantry. I encourage you to go try it!