Charlie Brown is coming to St. George’s

Experience a day in the life of Charlie Brown

Photo: Cary Robbins

In this staged photo, Sophomore Maggie Emmendorfer, Junior Will Brown and Senior Emma Pounders learn to tap dance for the winter musical “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown.” This musical will have singing, dancing and many jokes as it brings Charlie Brown and his friends to life.

The upper school’s winter musical’s cast has now been announced and You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown will be coming to theater in February. This musical is based on the classic comic strip that has now come to life. It features Charlie Brown’s gang of friends, including Snoopy, as they tap dance and sing a day in Charlie Brown’s life.

Director of Theatre Mrs. Karen Dean was proud of the middle school musical that was recently put on, and she is optimistic that the upper school musical will bring just as much publicity.

“I’m going to use the middle school musical and say, ‘look, this is what we did in middle school,’” Mrs. Dean said. “Now, we can see what the upper school kids can do.”

Sophomore student Maggie Emmendorfer has been doing musical theater since she was in second grade and is excited for the upper school musical. She doesn’t usually do theater for the school, but after she saw what the middle school could do, she was hopeful the high school could do just as well.

“It’s a small cast and I like small casts, so I thought that would work well with how many people audition usually. Also, I love Charlie Brown,” Emmendorfer said. “I auditioned for it when I was in third grade, and I didn’t get in, so I have to get in now.”

Emmendorfer also likes the small cast because it gives everyone a spot in the spotlight.

“I’m excited because it’s really inclusive,” Emmendorfer said. “Everyone’s in every scene, so there is lots of opportunity. It’s a fun show, and I like playing little kids a lot.”

For the actors, the best part of the musical is practicing for the performance and developing their interpretation of characters. Junior  Austin Wall says this is the best part of the musical for him.

“When you get the script and you’re running out the scenes, you can put your own twist on the character and how they act and how they respond to certain situations, so that’s fun for me,” Wall said.

Although the practices are the most exciting parts for the actors, the opening night is the most exciting for the audience. Mrs. Dean explains that this musical is for all audiences, so all ages can come out and enjoy the show.

“I wanted to do something fun so that I could draw some kids in,” Mrs. Dean said. “wanted to do something that would appeal to younger kids, so that I could get an audience for it.”

If you want to support the Theatre Arts Department of St. George’s, come out to watch the upper school musical You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown with family and friends.

“Bring the family because it’s Charlie Brown, a cartoon strip,” Mrs. Dean said. “It’s all family oriented and happy. It’ll be a really fun thing to do in the dead of winter.”

The cast list for the musical is featured below:

Charlie Brown……………………………………………………………………………………………………….Austin Wall

Sally Brown……..………………………………………………………………………..………………Thandie Boudreaux

Lucy VanPelt……………………………………………………………………………………………….…Emma Pounders

Linus VanPelt……………………………………………………..…………………………………………………Will Brown

Schroeder……………………………………………………………………………………………………….Dean Campbell

Snoopy…………………………..………………………………………………………………………Maggie Emmendorfer

Peppermint Patty……………………………………………….…………………………………………………Elianna Hills

Marci……………………………………..……………………..…………………………………………………Carolyn Lane

Woodstock……………………………..………………………………………………………….……Snowden Farnsworth