Editorial: Let’s use our voices

Junior Timber King’s day begins like that of many other St. George’s boys. He wakes up, gets dressed in khakis and a polo then drives to school, where he catches up with friends before attending his first period class. But, unlike many male students, King’s routine also includes putting on a pair of earrings, a staple of his everyday style.

Prior to the 2017-2018 school year, King – as a boy – was not allowed to wear earrings while at school even though, according to the St. George’s Handbook, his female counterparts were permitted to do so. We at The Lodge want to formally thank the school’s administration for altering this aspect of the dress code to allow for both cultural diversity and gender equality.

This change was one specifically requested within the pages of The Gryphon Gazette, now The Lodge, by alumna – then senior – Regine Miller.

In her op-ed, “Double the Standards, Double the Controversy” published on Sept. 16, 2016, Miller argued that not permitting boys to wear earrings ignored the fact that they were part of African-American culture and that some successful men, like Mr. Will Smith, wear them.

The administration took the time to listen to what she and others had to say, a privilege not offered to students at many schools but given freely here at St. George’s.

This is not the first time our administration has been willing to engage with our student body.

After Mrs. Kalyn Underwood was officially named as the new Upper School Dean of Students in May of 2016, she scheduled time to meet with students and talk about changes they wanted to see. This discussion led to new rules being implemented in the 2016-2017 school year, including the expansion of the cell phone policy, which allowed upper school students to use cell phones freely in hallways, lounges and the lunchroom.

Additionally, Student Government President Bennett Matson and Head Prefect Winston Margaritis regularly attend meetings with members of the administration, from Head of School Mr. Ross Peters to Assistant Director of Student Life Mrs. Emmy McClain. For Matson, these meetings, both unofficial and official, occur nearly every day.

But with an administration that’s prepared to hear our opinions, we as a student body have the responsibility to engage in meaningful and respectful conversations. We can’t tell ourselves that “that’s the way things are and there’s nothing we can do about it,” or just rant to our friends about the dress-code or other school rules. We have to realize that change does not happen by us shouting our complaints into a void and hoping someone hears them. Instead, we must take our concerns directly to those who have the power to make those changes official.

St. George’s is our school, so it’s time for us to use our voice and make it the best school it can be.