Girl’s soccer: the three week rundown

Girl’s soccer finds success heading into, during senior night

Seniors Isabel Correia, Sydney Brown, Gracie Maiden, Paige Marotta, Avery Whitehead, Brook Goodman and Eva Neel pose for a photo on senior night. All seven seniors started the game.

The St. George’s girls varsity soccer team went 2-0-1 in the three weeks leading up to their senior night.

The team defeated the University School of Jackson Bruins 2-0 on Sept. 15. Seniors Gracie Maiden and Isabel Correia scored in the 53 and 73 minutes respectively.

This marks the first time the Lady Gryphons have defeated USJ in regular season in the last four years.

“It’s so important,” sophomore Emma Bennett said on the gravity of the victory. “They’ve always been tough competition and to be able to beat USJ after losing eight starting seniors is huge.”

With the win, the varsity team improved their record to 6-2-1 for the season.

On Sept. 19, the Lady Gryphons suffered a 5-0 loss at the hands of Collierville High School.

“They were a really good team who had really good chemistry with each other,” said sophomore goalkeeper Ann Ragan Grissom. “There wasn’t much we could have done.”

The team dropped to 6-3-1 after the defeat.

On Sept. 20, the Lady Gryphons took on Sacred Heart of Jesus High School from Jackson, Tenn., defeating the Lady Knights 9-0. This is their largest margin of victory of the season so far. Senior Sydney Brown led the team, scoring 3 goals that night.

“It was definitely a morale booster, especially since we just got handed a tough loss by Collierville,” said junior defender Haley Dietz.

The team improved to 7-3-1 after the defeat of their out-of-town opponent.

The varsity team played St. Mary’s on Sept. 27 during their Senior Night, taking home a 2-1 win. Before the game, there was a Soccer For a Cure tailgate, in which all proceeds from food sales were given to families affected by cancer.

“It is for a great cause,” said senior Eva Neel . “It will be a great game against solid competition and is a time to commemorate the seniors and the four years plus they have dedicated to the game and the program.”

All seven soccer seniors started the game, including senior Avery Whitehead who tore her ACL this summer. Seniors Brook Goodman and Isabel Correia scored, bringing home the win.

The team’s next game is against Houston High School on Sept. 28.