Rivalry rumble

Gryphons take on ECS Eagles in Friday football game

Student+poses+with+new+rivalry+t-shirt.+The+Bleacher+Creatures+partnered+with+Agape+North+to+make+a+white+t-shirt+that+students+can+wear+to+the+Fine+Arts+Tailgate+color+rally+before+the+game+Friday.+

Photo: Caroline Zummach

Student poses with new rivalry t-shirt. The Bleacher Creatures partnered with Agape North to make a white t-shirt that students can wear to the Fine Arts Tailgate color rally before the game Friday.

“‘Eagle down” is a common phrase heard on the fields and courts of St. George’s where the biggest rival is arguably Evangelical Christian School (ECS). Over the years, the Gryphons have formed a rivalry with ECS,  whether it be for our similar athletic stamina or our seemingly related mascots.

Friday, Sept. 8, the Gryphons will face off against the ECS Eagles once again in a fight for a football win. This game is always one of the most competitive games of the season. In the past four years of competition with the Eagles in football, the Gryphons have won the last two years.

The team hopes to keep this rivalry streak alive on Friday.

“There is a buzz of anticipation for Friday night,” senior captain Nick Bourdeau said.

The Bleacher Creatures, Student Government and Art Club students have been pumping up the student body for this game by selling rivalry t-shirts and planning a pep rally during x-block.

“This pep rally is all about getting people pumped for all the fall sports and the big ECS game Friday,” Student Government President Bennett Matson said. “We really wanted to turn it into a collective Collierville campus experience, so this year both Middle and Upper schools are going to be there.”

The tailgate will consist of a color rally before the game, live music from the Modern Music Ensemble, face painting, a photo booth and more.

Students with white rivalry shirts will be able to get their shirt powdered with red, white and blue at the color rally.

“People should go to show support for their awesome artist friends,” art teacher Mrs. Allison Webb said. “It’s a fun night, and the kids have worked so hard to put it together.”

The Fine Arts Tailgate will begin at 6 p.m. at Ferguson Field while the color rally will take place at 6:45 p.m. Kickoff is at 7 p.m.