Students fight on the throne of beards

Photo: Elise Fong
John Carter Hawkins ’17, Jack Goodman ’17 and Dawson Smith ’17 wait for their results in the contest. The No Shave November contest took place in the dining hall on November 30, 2015.

Yesterday, Nov. 30, marked the end of No Shave November, in which many male students and faculty members did not shave for the entire month.

This event was launched by Prefect of Chapel, William McBride, who decided to launch this fundraiser to raise money for the Memphis Union Mission. In order to participate, students and faculty were required to purchase bracelets and wear them during the month of November. The proceeds from the bracelets as well as additional donations went to the cause.

“The cause helped raise about 500 dollars for the Memphis Union Mission and got nice shaving supplies to donate as well,” McBride said.

The No Shave November event concluded with a beard contest, which included categories such as best design, best effort, overall best beard, and most clean. According to McBride, the overall best beard consists of “a combination of fullness, thickness, length and most eye-capturing.”

The cleanest beard award was given to junior Jack Goodman, the best designed beard went to senior Eric Matula and the best effort of beards went to sophomore Hudson Beaudry. The overall best beard was awarded to senior Andrew Deaton.