The student voice of St. George's Independent School.

The Lodge

Seniors transform Collierville campus into “St. George’s International Airport”

Photo: Mrs. Lisa Ayerst
Seniors Alexa Dell and Julia Spinolo direct students on the plaza to the lobby, or "airport security." Seniors were present the morning of the prank to keep with the airport-themed activities such as the security, morning announcements and car traffic.

On Thursday, May 14, the senior class of 2015 transformed the St. George’s Collierville campus into “St. George’s International Airport” for their senior prank, focusing specifically on the lobby, specific classrooms and outside of the school.

When entering from the Houston Levee entrance, students were directed by senior students, who were dressed in orange construction vests, as well as an electronic road sign that read, “Welcome to St. George’s Int’l Airport.” These seniors restricted students from entering anywhere but the main lobby entrance. On the way, students and teachers were greeted by actual llamas, which belong to senior Roxanna Wood and her family and were dressed as airport security.

The main entrance was transformed into the “airport security.” Here, students were instructed to put their backpacks, laptops, belts, shoes, phones and anything else in their pockets in a bin. Seniors then took their belongings to “baggage claim,” which was held in the upper school lounge, sending frustrated students to search for and reclaim their belongings.

Each classroom was scheduled to fly to a particular countries and many were themed to the teacher, including Ms. Reed’s Spanish classroom as Cancún and Dr. Leung’s classroom as Sweden. Within these rooms, chairs were rearranged to signify airplane seats.

Before “takeoff,” chips were handed out to several classrooms by seniors as flight refreshments. Some classrooms had “security breaches,” so a llama would be led into the classrooms and many students took selfies with it.

Before the first period of the day, seniors Alexa Dell and Allie Buckmaster made announcements over the intercom as if students were on an actual airplane before takeoff.

“Emergency exits are located at the front, sides and rear of the plane,” senior Alexa Dell said over the intercom. “Please follow all guidelines until your class graduates to ensure no unnecessary problems take place. Once again, thank you for choosing St. George’s Air. Your pilot, Bill Taylor, will be taking off shortly. Have a safe flight!”

Student and teacher reactions to this year’s senior prank were generally positive. Despite frustrations from baggage claim, many teachers enjoyed the prank and students were left inspired.

“[It was] one of the most creative senior pranks in the history of St. George’s, and I have seen them all,” geometry teacher Mrs. Lisa Ayerst said.

“I admit this prank has been the best one in my time, but the class of 2017 is already planning,” sophomore Megan Lenoir said. “Watch out.”