Team College Guidance says goodbye to Ms. Brooks

Team+College+Guidance%2C+Ms.+Brooks+and+Mr.+Gibson%2C+say+goodbye+to+Ms.+Brooks.+Ms.+Brooks+has+planned+to+achieve+her+graduate+degree+this+fall+at+The+University+of+Pennsylvania.+

Team College Guidance, Ms. Brooks and Mr. Gibson, say goodbye to Ms. Brooks. Ms. Brooks has planned to achieve her graduate degree this fall at The University of Pennsylvania.

A key member of the college guidance team has recently made the announcement that she will not be returning to St. George’s next year. Ms. Beverly Brooks, the Associate Director of College Guidance, has decided to graduate with the class of 2015 this year and take an opportunity to go back to school.

“Pursuing my graduate degree has never been an if, but a when,” Brooks said. “With my first class of St. George’s ninth graders and the final class of students I recruited to Rhodes all graduating this year, the timing was perfect.”

She will be attending the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia to obtain a degree in education, culture, and society. She is focusing her work on the support of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer students, students of color and first-generation college students. She will also be serving as the arts and recreation fellow for the Graduate Student Center, planning trips to sporting events, outdoor activities, new restaurants, shows and art galleries.

“St. George’s has encouraged my passion for this on a number of levels, and I am looking forward to strengthening my foundation so that I can be as effective as possible in my work,” Brooks said.

As for the new Assistant Director of College Guidance, St. George’s has hired Ms. Jessica Hardy, who is a native Memphian and used to visit St. George’s as the representative for Sewanee, formally known as the University of the South.

“She is warm, bright, quick-witted, hilarious and a perfect fit for St. George’s,” Brooks said. “Jessica is a dear friend of ours. [She] is truly the ideal match for Team College Guidance.”

Hardy currently works in admissions at Rice University in Houston, and she will graduate from Northeastern University with her master’s in Higher Education Administration in a few weeks.

Brooks has been with Team College Guidance for four years, and during that time she has served as a hard-working counselor for juniors, seniors and families.

“I am happy that she is getting the opportunity to do new things, but I am upset that she won’t be here to help in the college decision process and see our class graduate,” junior Francesca Healy said.

As the current seniors were her first class of freshmen, it now time for her to graduate alongside them.

“It is very sad because the seniors have known her since freshmen year and [juniors] got to know her as well,” senior Owen Miller said. “I think that it is going to be really hard going into senior year and not having Ms. Brooks.”

Students have been truly grateful for Brooks and are both saddened by the news of her departure and happy for her.

“I want to be a better ear and shoulder and mind for the kids and families and teachers with whom I work,” Brooks said. “I owe it to them, and to myself, to see what I’m capable of. So while I am incredibly sad to leave my St. George’s family, I am also really excited for this next chapter of my life.”