Q & A with Mrs. Jill Reilly

Photo: Heather Stevenson

Jill Reilly works busily in her office as she recently made the decision to step down from her position as St. George’s Dean of Students. She does not yet know what she is going to do or where she is going to go after she leaves.

Heather Stevenson: Tell me about your decision to step down?

Mrs. Jill Reilly: There are a lot of parts to my decision, but it took me a long time to decide because I have been here a long time and I really like this place. One of the things that happens when you get to my point in life is that you can consider other things. I was a teacher for a long time and I have had the opportunity to work with administration and I really like it. I am at a point in my life where I can look at other things.

HS: What are you going to do next?

JR: I don’t know what I want to do. I might teach. I might go to graduate school. I might take some time off to figure everything out. I am absolutely going to go to graduate school, I just don’t know where or how.

HS: Do you know who is going to be dean of students next?

JR: They have a national search going on. I don’t know who it will be, but I know it will be someone good.

HS: What do you think makes a good dean of students?

JR: I think you have to be fair-minded. I think you have to be open minded. I think you have to be willing to stand up for students. I think it helps if you know students. You have to be understanding. You have to be willing to get the whole story. Being efficient and organized is helpful.