The Lodge

Gryphon swimmers make school history at state

Lexie+Marotta+dives+in+after+Julia+Fogel+during+a+relay+while+their+team+cheers+them+on.+A+total+of+seven+school+records+were+broken+by+the+Gryphons+at+the+state+championships%2C+including+Marotta+and+Fogel%27s+girls%27+relays.+
Lexie Marotta dives in after Julia Fogel during a relay while their team cheers them on. A total of seven school records were broken by the Gryphons at the state championships, including Marotta and Fogel's girls' relays.

Photo: Sarah Thompson

Photo: Sarah Thompson

Annie Vento, Sports Editor/Copy Editor

On Thursday, Feb. 12, Gryphon swimmers who are apart of the varsity team and qualified for state ventured to Knoxville, Tenn., to compete in the state championships.

Members of the varsity team that competed at state included seniors Lexie Marotta, Susanna Hamsley, Matthew Mullahey, Caroline Cannon and Emma Irby who led the team, as well as freshmen Hudson Beaudry, Julia Fogel and Gabby Acker who rose to the varsity team this year.

“Everyone dropped significant time,” junior William McBride said, who broke the school record in the 50 free with 21.48 seconds. “It was great to see our team come together for the last meet of the year!”

The St. George’s swim team broke a total of seven school records and placed high in many of their races while at state. The girls 400 medley relay, with Sarah Thompson, Lexie Marotta, Acker and Fogel broke a school record and placed ninth overall, the girls 400 free relay with Thompson, Lexie Marotta, Acker and Fogel broke another record and placed eleventh overall, McBride, Payton McGough, Beaudry and John Barton broke the school record in the boys 200 free relay and were the first alternate and Lexie Marotta broke the school record in the 100 backstroke. Additionally, Thompson won seventh place in the 50 free, McBride placed thirteenth in the 50 free and Acker placed fourth in the 100 breaststroke, along with numerous other achievements.

“It was a great experience for those of us who aren’t seniors to see where we can improve for next year,” sophomore Lauren Marotta said. “We can now set next year’s goals even higher because we did so well this year.”