Student plans new SGGO trip

Photo: wikipedia.com The St. George’s Great Outdoors organization is organizing a new trip to Colorado this summer. It is part of senior Chris DiNicolantonio’s Senior Independent Study.

St. George’s Great Outdoors will be gaining a new addition to its repertoire of trips that students can take part in. The SGGO club will be making a trip to the Arkansas River in Buena Vista, Colo., from May 30 to June 7, available to upper school students starting this year.

Senior Chris DiNicolantonio has been planning this trip to Colorado as his Senior Independent Study. As a SGGO student leader, DiNicolantonio has taken it upon himself to plan this summer excursion from start to finish, including finances, outdoor expeditions and gear.

“I’ve gone on so many [SGGO] trips, and I’m excited to finally have a part in the making of a trip,” DiNicolantonio said.

SGGO is a student outdoor expedition program, started by former faculty member Mrs. Kelly Majuri, as a way for students to get away from the stresses of school, unplug from their everyday technological uses and experience the outdoors with their friends.

As an SGGO leader, DiNicolantonio has participated in many trips and now he has the opportunity to work on the administrative side of planning the trips.

“I have never been on this side of the production of a trip,” DiNicolantonio said. “I thought it would be good to be on this side of planning so I could gain some personal experience.”

The majority of SGGO trips include backpacking, camping or hiking. However, this trip will also include whitewater rafting and fun group activities, and the days that are not spent whitewater rafting will be spent by taking the students on day hikes in the Buena Vista area.

“We’re going to go explore the surrounding area because the surrounding area is particularly beautiful,” DiNicolantonio said.

Mr. Bill McClain, Director of Sustainability and a faculty sponsor of SGGO, normally plans the trips with all of the SGGO student leaders.

“It’s cool for a student to go through the planning process,” Mr. McClain said. “I am excited to see students being more involved in SGGO.”

“I feel like the outdoors is an experience everyone at St. George’s should have experience with because it could teach everyone something about themselves and the world outside of them,” DiNicolantonio said.