St. George’s honors Martin Luther King Jr. with MLK Day ON

Photo: Sarah Acuff

A St. George’s student helps to paint a mural of historical figures that stood up for racism during MLK Day ON. Icons that were painted at the Memphis Academy of Health Sciences included Nelson Mandela and three freedom fighters who took a stand in Selma, Ala.

This year, St. George’s continued its tradition of making Martin Luther King Jr. day, which is traditionally a day off from school and work, a day on in order to honor Martin Luther King Jr. and what he stood for.

Students and teachers were offered five particular opportunities to volunteer, which were volunteering at Clean Memphis, Shelby Farms and More-on-Monday, trailblazing on campus and painting murals downtown. Mr. Brendan Gorham, the chaplain for the Collierville campus, organized the day of service and helped to ensure that St. George’s was making an impact in the community on Monday.

“Martin Luther King Jr. spent a lot of time working for others, and a few years back.. a group got together and decided it was kind of kind of ridiculous for MLK Day to be a day off,” said Mr. Gorham on the origin of MLK Day ON. “While relaxation is great, [it is] not necessarily the best way to honor the legacy of someone who gave his life working tirelessly for others.”

Both middle and upper school students participated in service on Jan. 19 and completed work that will remain for years to come and will benefit others. For example, those who volunteered through trailblazing groomed the trails and made it easier for those who go in the woods in the future to do so.

“We cleaned up the trails.. but we also made new trails, cutting down trees and moving them, and we cleared out plants to make the trails serviceable,” said junior Connor Funck. “I enjoyed this work because I felt like I was making a difference making trails that other people would use.”

This pattern continued at the Memphis Academy of History and Science, where students painted murals of historical icons that stood up against racism and inequality.

“Giving back to the community felt great, especially on MLK Day,” said eighth-grader Rainey Zaugg. “This year, we painted Nelson Mandela and three freedom fighters who lost their lives in Selma, Ala., fighting for equal rights.”

“I kind of think, as a school, we celebrate MLK Day everyday,” said Mr. Gorham. “Everyday is a day on for helping others out.. [and] recognizing that, regardless of our differences, we’re all children of God.”