Upper school students participate in a diversity assembly

Upper+school+students+sit+down+to+take+part+in+an+activity+during+a+diversity+assembly.+Ms.+Amy+Lazarus+conducted+an+activity+to+get+students+talking+about+differences+amongst+people+and+embracing+those+differences.++

Photo: Zach Obaji

Upper school students sit down to take part in an activity during a diversity assembly. Ms. Amy Lazarus conducted an activity to get students talking about differences amongst people and embracing those differences.

Upper school students participated in a diversity assembly that was intended to ignite conversations about diversity within the St. George’s community.

The Executive Director of the International Institute for Sustained Dialogue, Ms. Amy Lazarus, came to speak and perform an exercise with students during an upper school chapel.

Before the activity began, teachers and administrators came around to students in each grade level and placed different colored dot stickers on their foreheads. Students were then asked to find their group without speaking or asking questions about what color sticker was on their forehead.

Once the activity was set in motion, it proved difficult for some and not for others. This activity led into a conversation, which Ms. Lazarus conducted, about diversity and embracing differences.

“It was a great attempt at moving forward,” said senior Allie Buckmaster.

Several students were also asked to speak and share opinions on different issues throughout the assembly.

Ms. Lazarus spent time with teachers and faculty prior to the assembly talking about similar issues and discussing topics relating to diversity.