Seussical the Musical

Photo: Anna Marie Beard

Entire cast performs “Oh The Thinks You Can Think”. The characters come from a variety of works by author Dr. Seuss.

The St. George’s theatre department will present their own rendition of “Seussical the Musical” on November 14th and 15th at seven-thirty p.m. and November 16th at four p.m. at the Germantown campus.

Students have been preparing for this production since September. Stage manager, sophomore Annie Vento, assistant stage manager, junior Jacob Peeples and assistant director, senior Nathan Weinreich met with the director, Marques Brown, to discuss casting and rehearsals.

The casting process took place on September 8 and 9, and both middle and upper school students auditioned for the play. The theatre department rarely puts on productions with such a wide range of ages, and this will be the first production with both middle and upper school students since 2009. The cast members have been working diligently for weeks to get the production up and running.

The St. George’s theatre department produced “Seussical the Musical” in 2010, before Mr. Brown became the St. George’s theatre teacher. A few students that were in the play four years ago have been cast for the upcoming production, and they are excited to see how it will change.

Mr. Brown has worked to transform “Seussical the Musical” to be more appealing to upper school students, rather than just young children.

Senior Nathan Weinreich said, “[Mr. Brown’s] interpretation of [the musical] includes a lot of steampunk aspects that give the play a somewhat darker and more adult feeling.”

“If you come into [the play] with an open mind, then […] the enjoyment level will be much higher,” said junior Jacob Peeples.

Junior Allie Harbert, who will play the cat, said, “I’ve experimented with multiple voices and personas to carry out the complex role the cat plays.”

“There were some unfulfilled roles due to our small cast. I would highly recommend those who haven’t ever participated in the theatre program to step out of their comfort zone and audition for a part,” said Harbert. She is excited for the upcoming performance, but hopes that more students will audition for future productions.

The small cast left a few roles unfulfilled, and it has been a struggle to prepare for the production, but Peeples said, “The show must go on.”

Entrance to see the production costs ten dollars for adults and five dollars for students. Entrance is free if students bring canned goods.