NYU visits St. George’s for the first time

College flyers line a hallway for all students to see. Students met with the NYU representative to understand more about the school.

Photo: Grant Webb

The morning of October 2nd Philip Hughes came to St. Georges Collierville campus to represent New York University.

Philip Hughes began with a brief introduction to the school. This lead into an explanation of its abroad campuses in Abu Dhabi U.A.E. and Shanghai China. The group was told that these campuses were in very Westernized areas. This minimizes culture shock, but it allows the students to experience a large range of diversity.

His session covered general information on the school. This ranged from their population of 20,000 undergraduate students to their 400 clubs.

Mr. Hughes said that “there is an 18 to 1 student teacher ratio.” The classes were typically smaller so the students could get to know their professors.

The massive number of clubs allows people to form friendships around common interests.

He later spoke on how the students are encouraged to form a relationship with the city. He told the group that “students don’t feel like this is our university and that is New York City,” but rather that the university and the city are the same.

NYU also encourages students to explore around by offering them a card similar to the one issued to students in the past years. This card is recognized by local businesses who will offer discounts to NYU students. Students would be encouraged to be a part of the city and explore around the city and to venture away from the campus.

NYU’s first visit went over well with the students. Senior Nathan Weinreich said that “NYU’s visit was helpful because it answered many of my questions.” It is leading St George’s into a year of many more visits.

College Guidance has been busy setting up college meetings and arranging for students to be exposed to different kinds of schools.

“We are very excited about the number of options available to students.” said Mr. Gibson,

“We’re on track to surpass last year’s visits,” said Beverly Brooks. It is only October and the school has already hosted more than 60 percent of last year’s visits.