Hip Hop the bunny has a tale to tell

Photo: Caroline Cannon

Alfonso “Hip Hop” the Bunny rests peacefully in senior Jay Luckett’s hands. Hip Hop has been living on campus for a few months.

Senior Jay Luckett, with the assistance of seniors Catherine Mann, Logan Parsons, and Jack Glosson, caught a rabbit on Tuesday, Sept. 30. The rabbit, originally named Alfonso but changed to Hip Hop in the spirit of spirit week, has been living on campus for the past few months.

“We chased the bunny for about 30 minutes, cornered him in the side of the building, got a bandana and grabbed the bunny,” said Mann.

While Glosson walked around St. George’s looking for a box to put the new friend in, Hip Hop was being looked after by Luckett who used senior Chazz Simmons’ red bandana to hold him. According to Mann, the bunny was not too fond of carrots, but it was interested in clovers. Upper School Administrative Assistant and Work Testing Coordinator Marianne Simmons said that he was probably a domestic bunny that got out, and Dean of Students Jill Reilly agreed.

“We found him a box and brought him to Mr. Morris’s office to try to keep it,” said senior Hannah Dietz. “He then told us to let it go so we did and Hip Hop stayed in the nearby bushes for awhile.”

Later in the evening, the Class of 2015 was confused by Upper School Director Tom Morris’s email with a title of “Missing a Vegetable?” and text body of “Let me know. Thanks, Mr. Morris.” Mr. Morris later explained that this email was sent due to a carrot used to feed Hip Hop being left in the library conference room on the floor.

If you look carefully, you may see the black-furred bunny hopping around campus.