Bring ‘Em Out!

Student government rolls out a new system of management and its senior executives

On April 10, the Upper School announced the executives for SGov for the 2018-2019 school year. Candidates who ran had to speak in front of the Upper School about what they wanted to do as a member of Student Government. Next year, SGov will have a social branch, which will be in charge of social events like dances, and a legislative branch, which will oversee clubs. The Lodge was able to get to know the four elected executive members of student government a little bit better.

Ann Ragan Grissom, President

Favorite Student Government Memory: “My favorite student government memory is all the things that Steven Smith has said in the meetings. It’s always something either extremely ridiculous or a really good idea. There is no in-between. We’ve actually made a google doc of everything he’s said!”

Favorite student life event: “My favorite event was either homecoming this year or Mr. Morris day. There were SO many people at homecoming and the atmosphere was amazing! It seemed like everyone had a really good time. Mr. Morris day was awesome because everyone just chilled and hung out and I could tell Mr. Morris was very appreciative. It made me really happy.”

How is the new system going to positively affect the school?

“The new system is going to be great and very productive for SGIS. Since we will be in charge of clubs as well, we will ensure that all clubs are doing something inventive and meaningful. There will not be any room for clubs that do not regularly meet or have events. We want to make sure they are all doing something. This will help SGIS grow because we will be broadening our horizons into the community, not only SG. With the social side, we are trying to get as many people involved and encompass all interests!”

What are you looking forward to the most about your senior year?

“I am looking forward to being president and trying to make the last year with everyone the best. We only have a little time left with each other, so I want to make the school events as memorable as possible so we will be able to talk about how awesome the year was as we go off the college. I look forward to my SIS because I get to explore a career path that I want to take. I’m so excited!”

What is one thing you want to change about student life next year?

“I want to make sure that everyone is involved [and] included. In the past, I have heard people complain about social events and stuff like that. I want to get the input of everyone because that is so important when it comes to pleasing everyone. I want more people to get involved and to make that a reality; we have to reach to all kinds of people.”

What aspect of the school do you want to put focus on?

“There is more than one. I want to focus on clubs and combine some of them because there are many clubs that are not doing anything for the school [or] community. It is very important that everyone is focused on making a difference. Also, like I said before, I want to change the atmosphere of the school to where everyone feels accepted [and] appreciated because that is very important to me!

Rainey Zaugg, Vice President & Treasurer

Favorite student government memory: “Bennett and I had to wait 70 minutes for 200 pieces of toast whilst discussing everything and anything in a Zaxby’s.”

Favorite Student Life Event: “Tom Morris Day! It was such an organic, original idea that was made completely by current Student Government. It wasn’t something expected, like Homecoming or pep rallies.”

“First of all, I love that the school involved us in the decision making for the new system. This new system allows for students to get more involved in the school, while also ensuring that SG is positively and legitimately impacting the community.”

“Senior year sounds extremely daunting, but I am just excited to impact people’s high school experience. And I know people don’t think about what SGov is doing [or] what had to be done to get that event going while they are having fun at events, but if someone is genuinely enjoying themselves and I can see them enjoying themselves, then I feel like [I] succeeded.”

“People say this all the time, but I want to make every SGov event an event for everyone. You aren’t a dance person? That is okay because we will have cornhole or a photo booth, or whatever it might be. I do not want anyone to put themselves or others into a social box that they struggle to get out of.”

“This year, the new system allows SGov to focus on student involvement in new aspects that we haven’t looked into before. Clubs get people plugged in, getting plugged in allows you to reach new social groups and influencing the community, new social groups lead to trying new things or going to new things. Again, it’s cliche and overused, but I want people to go to more and enjoy themselves.”

Will Brown, Chief of Staff

Favorite student life event: “My favorite event of the year has to be the Fine Arts Tailgate! It’s always so much fun and we get to show off our awesome skills in the Arts program!”

“This new system is designed to help regulate clubs and expand our influence as students on the school. Clubs will function far better with a little more regulation and organization, and with the separation between social and legislative, student government can now focus itself on all aspects of student life and target issues with more power and drive than normal.”

“I am looking forward to helping my fellow students with their problems, and being able to help one of the least utilized aspects of student life become stronger and more present in our school culture!”

“I want to make clubs far more present in student life next year. Sure, you join a club and have fun, but each club’s presence doesn’t really leave the email or the club room. They really aren’t impactful on the school.”

“Well I think I’ve made it apparent I want the clubs to have more focus in school life. Though I want the student voice to also have more presence.”

Justin Bray, Communications Director:

Favorite student life event: “My favorite student life event is field day. That is always a lot of fun.”

If you could put one song on repeat at a school dance what would it be?

“If I could put one song on repeat at a school dance it would be Yodeling Wal-Mart Boy: Dubstep Remix. What a classic. Well, either that or Karma Chameleon by Culture Club.”

The new system is going to positively impact the school because it will make the school more organized.”

“I am looking forward to getting even closer with my classmates as we all realize that our short-lived time together is coming to a close.”

“One thing I want to change about student life next year is to have more support at all of our events.”

“I want to mainly focus on the social side of the school and how to interact the lower, middle and high school with one another.”