The Lodge

How to prepare for your next big race

St. George's teachers and students weigh in on how to prepare for St. Jude marathon weekend

Upper+school+math+teacher+Mrs.+Kimberly+Callaway%2C+sophomore+Boo+McWaters+and+St.+George%27s+alumni+Maggie+Glosson+and+Grace+Bennett+cheer+on+runners+during+last+year%27s+race.+More+than+25%2C000+people+are+projected+to+participate+in+the+Memphis+Marathon+Weekend+this+year.+
Upper school math teacher Mrs. Kimberly Callaway, sophomore Boo McWaters and St. George's alumni Maggie Glosson and Grace Bennett cheer on runners during last year's race. More than 25,000 people are projected to participate in the Memphis Marathon Weekend this year.

As the annual St. Jude Marathon Weekend draws closer, members of the St. George’s community prepare to show out for the children of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

The weekend of Dec. 2 offers a variety of races for all ages such as a 5K, 10K, half-marathon, marathon and kid’s marathon. No matter which one you may be running, St. George’s faculty and students have some tips and tricks for preparing for the big race.

Upper School history teacher Mrs. Emily Metz has run multiple half-marathons herself and suggests to set a distance goal then try to reach it.

“Start small…[be] able to keep consistency and [carve] out space for your long runs too,” Mrs. Metz said. “If you are going for a pace goal, do a little speed work in between.”

Junior Rachel Umansky offers some tips for staying motivated while training for a race.

“A good tip for training is having a friend train with you so that you can motivate each other and keep the other accountable,” Umansky said. Umansky will run the St. Jude half-marathon for the first time next week.

English I teacher Mr. Zachary Adcock has a different goal in mind for preparing for the race, one that involves St. George’s alumnus Adam Cruthirds.

“My ultimate goal is to do whatever Adam is doing,” Mr. Adcock said. “My main goal has always been to be with Adam, to run or walk or do a little of both…That’s why I do it.”

However, if running isn’t the method you choose for supporting the kids at St. Jude next weekend, St. Jude Club will be hosting a sleepover at the bunkhouse the night before the race and a tent for cheering on the runners located in front of Upper School director Mr. Tom Morris’ home along the half-marathon race route.

Whether it is participating in the race or cheering on from the sidewalk, St. George’s offers multiple opportunities to support the children of St. Jude as well as the faculty, students and families of St. George’s who participate in one of Memphis’ biggest event of the year.