The student voice of St. George's Independent School.

The Lodge

A Letter from the Lodge

As you may have noticed by now, the Gryphon Gazette is no longer a newspaper, nor is it the “Gryphon Gazette.” Since November, we have been working to produce a new way to deliver you the news, and now, we would like to formally introduce you to the new student-run news publication of St. George’s, the Lodge.

Over the last three years, the Gryphon Gazette has worked to evolve with the world we’re living in. In 2014, we went online, with thegryphongazette.org. In 2015, we became social with Instagram and Twitter (@NewsGryphs). In 2016, we won Best Overall Newspaper in the state of Tennessee from the Tennessee High School Press Association.

Recently, we asked ourselves how we could raise the bar even higher. And when we looked at some of the best high school newspapers across the country, we noticed they all had one thing in common: they weren’t newspapers at all – they were magazines, with more in-depth stories, more complex design and news that was more relevant to their student bodies.

For that reason, the Lodge is a student-run magazine, not a newspaper. As opposed to a typical 16-page newspaper with upwards of 12 stories, our magazine will hold closer to six stories that are more comprehensive. With this, we will be able to pursue the stories you care about and want to read, and we will be able to report on these with more breadth and detail.

Our new name, the Lodge, reflects the kind of magazine we want to be for you. We are for students, by students.

As students, we know our campus as “the Lodge” – it’s the name we use for the school on social media, it’s the name used by alumni when they return to St. George’s and it’s the name that justifies our ski-themed spirit days. It’s a name that represents our sense of community as a student body, a goal we as a magazine have with everything we report. We want the Lodge to be a place where we can gather as a family in the warmth of our shared community. With this magazine, we want you to feel like your voice is being heard in what topics we cover and how we cover on them, so bearing the name of “the Lodge” will be a constant reminder to us of that intent.

We cannot wait for what the future of the Lodge holds, and we hope you are excited as we are!

1 Comment

One Response to “A Letter from the Lodge”

1. Elise Fong on February 14th, 2017 3:54 PM

can’t wait to see what you guys come up with!!!!! So happy for you all its going to be amazing!!!!! (Also I love the new name v clever)

[Reply]

Online comments will be approved prior to appearing on the website. The editorial board reserves the right to remove online comments that violate any of the rules below.

1. Comments must have a verifiable first and last name and email address.

2. Comments may not bully, belittle, or make ad hominem attacks.

3. Comments may not purposefully distract from the subject at hand.

4. Comments may not be used to advertise.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Opinion

Editorial: Tell me something I don’t know

• A Letter from the Lodge

Opinion

It’s a matter of fairness

• A Letter from the Lodge

Opinion

Why we need an arts prefect

• A Letter from the Lodge

Opinion

It’s a matter of freedom

• A Letter from the Lodge

Opinion

Movie Monday: Halloween-Eve

• A Letter from the Lodge

Opinion

Peter Parker’s Day Off

• A Letter from the Lodge

Opinion

Silver linings in our darkest hours

• Opinion

Editorial: Let’s use our voices

• A Letter from the Lodge

Opinion

Why America can’t backdown

• Opinion

Editorial: Leaving things in good hands