Dynasty Duo

Varsity golf team’s future is in capable hands

Davis+Irving+tees+of+at+a+tournament+in+Indiana.+Irving+is+one+half+of+the+duo+that+is+making+St.+Georges+Varsity+Golf+teams+future+so+bright.+

Photo: Ms. Shawn Irving

Davis Irving tees of at a tournament in Indiana. Irving is one half of the duo that is making St. George’s Varsity Golf team’s future so bright.

When you think of the word dynasty, your mind typically doesn’t wander to golf. Usually the word dynasty, when used in connection with sports, leads one to think of the 1990s Chicago Bulls or the 1980s San Francisco 49er’s. However, St. George’s Varsity Golf Team definitely falls under the definition of a dynasty as well, having won three state championships in three years.

One of the key components to the team’s success is the fact that the Gryphons have two young, talented golfers in Winston Margaritis and Davis Irving. The pair were the highest scoring golfers in the recent state championship, and they are only sophomores.

With two years left of eligibility and high school, they are hoping to add two more rings to their already crowded fingers. Margaritis is confident about the future of the golf program and believes that the team can win more state championships during his time at St. George’s.

Margaritis is also trying to build on his national ranking. He is ranked seventh in his class and 61st among high school golfers nationally, per Junior Golf Scoreboard.

“I have made many memories in my time on the team and I look forward to the next two years.” Margaritis said.

Being such a force on the team at such a young age is very rare in sports.

“Being able to place so well early on in my high school career is pretty cool,” Irving said. “It just gives me more confidence for the next year.”

The seniors on the team feel that they are leaving the team in good hands, and they are equally confident in the team’s future. It’s not hard to see where their optimism stems from, seeing as Margaritis and Irving have both proven themselves as leaders on the course.

The team will definitely miss their seniors, but it is being left with talented golfers who will work hard to keep the St. George’s golf dynasty alive.