Taking the wagon wheel all the way to state

Hundreds of students send football team off to state

Seniors Spencer Scofield, Jake Lindow and Carson Reaves smile as their fellow classmates cheer them on to their way to state. The boys left on the morning of Dec. 2.

On the morning of Wednesday, Dec. 2, the varsity football team departed for their state championship game in Cookeville, Tenn. The game will take place at 3pm against Northpoint Christian School.

To send off the football players before they departed from school, hundreds of middle and upper school students, as well as parents of football players, created a fan tunnel for the football team. Students cheered with pom-poms and signs for specific players and high-fived the boys as they walked through.

“The continuous support from the entire study body is incredible, and I can’t thank everyone enough for their enthusiasm and spirit throughout the season,” middle linebacker and senior Jake Lindow said. “Beating rivals, winning our district, making the playoffs, and all the other milestones this team has accomplished this year are great, but ultimately, we’ve always been preparing for a state championship. Now that we’re here, we just have to continue playing like we always have, dominating all around.”

Tickets and state t-shirts were sold during lunch on Monday through Wednesday. The tickets for the game are 12 dollars, and the t-shirts read “State 2015” on the front and “Taking the wagon wheel all the way to state.”

If not attending the game, fans can tune-in to the Gryphon Gazette Twitter and Instagram, @NewsGryphs, for live updates during the game.

“We’re proud to be a part of this school and hope to represent the athletic program well, [and] we’re excited to do it with the support of the student body along with us,” Coach and Defense Coordinator Ben Todd said. “It should be a good matchup, two very good teams going at it. I think it’ll be one of the more exciting title games in recent history, and I am looking forward to it.”