Let’s change ceremonies to afternoons!

Photo: Emily Persons

Award ceremonies continue to be debated. Award ceremonies and Honor society inductions took place in the gym this year.

As the end of the year swiftly approaches, most students are looking forward to summer and the free time that comes along with it. However, a cloud hovers over the festivities in the shape of the honor society inductions and award ceremonies.

Sitting through these awards for an hour or more leaves students weary in the classes that follow. For students who do not receive awards, they may seem hurtful or even pointless. A change should be made, and that change is moving these ceremonies to take place after school.

What are these awards actually praising? Is it the admiration of the student’s desire to learn or solely based on their ability to make the grades?

Students have become obsessed with the concept of “making the grades.” This is not their fault. Pressure from parents and colleges have forced this change, leaving the desire to learn on the back burner.

Furthermore, as schools honor the students who are able to “make the grades,” the students with a valiant work ethic, yet inability to achieve a certain grade point average are neglected. Not only are they not recognized, but they are also forced to watch the ceremony that honors those individuals they strive to be.

“The award ceremonies might hurt people’s feelings if they worked really hard for a certain award and didn’t get it,” senior Justin Wertner said.

Furthermore, the length of these ceremonies has always been an issue for students.

“It [the Honor Society ceremony] is just too long,” sophomore Shane Horton said.

The students who are able to achieve high academic standards should be honored but in a different way.

The benefits of an after school awards and Honor Society inductions ceremonies far outweigh the disadvantages. Classes can be carried out according to schedule, parents do not have to check siblings out of school in order for them to attend these ceremonies, parents can continue their work day, and most importantly, students who are not receiving an award or title do not have to sit through the endless hours of names and pledges.

“CBHS [Christian Brothers High School] does some of their awards like Honor Society inductions after school, and I think it’s a really good idea,” senior Hannah Dietz said.