Ali Mills 5K dropped

Club takes new direction

Junior Frances Gatlin, Francesca Healy, sophomore Emily Persons, and junior Keely Cox creates Valentines Day cards with Ronald McDonald house residents. The Alis Way Club volunteers frequently at the Ronald McDonald House.

Photo: Maria Kramer

Junior Frances Gatlin, Francesca Healy, sophomore Emily Persons, and junior Keely Cox creates Valentine’s Day cards with Ronald McDonald house residents. The Ali’s Way Club volunteers frequently at the Ronald McDonald House.

After eleven consecutive years, St. George’s will no longer hold the Ali Mills 5K. In the past, the race was used to raise money to benefit patients of St. Jude’s. Now, Ali’s Way will be discontinuing the Ali Mills 5K because of the increased interest in taking a different approach and focusing the club more on volunteer work.

The Ali Mills 5K is not taking place anymore due to several reasons. The annual run was not making as much money as it used to make, and the Adult Board and Youth Board have both agreed that the race should be replaced with a new fundraising approach.

The co-chairs of the club, seniors Maria Kramer and Hallie Gillam, have also decided that they want to take the club in a different direction.

“We are changing the club to be less fundraising-oriented and more volunteer-centered,” said Gillam. “Maria and I have really tried to do more with the Ronald McDonald House this year and are trying to gain momentum for things that students can volunteer for.”

Ali’s Way, Inc. is a non-profit organization in honor of Ali Mills, a St. George’s student who passed away from neuroblastoma when she was in the seventh grade. The Ali’s Way club works to ensure that Ali’s legacy is being carried out, which is done by supporting the Ronald McDonald house in their efforts to make the families feel more at home.

The club has been much more focused on volunteer work this year and is looking forward to different events that students can volunteer for next year.

The organization is currently seeking for more ways to let others get involved, specifically students at the Germantown and Memphis campuses. Both co-chairs of the organization, seniors Kramer and Gillam, are contacting the Ronald McDonald House to identify further volunteer opportunities and needs.

“Ali’s legacy is really all about making patients feel more supported and at home, which is why we have chosen a new direction for the club,” Gillam said.