Mr. Masters and photography club lead artistic chapel service

Photo: Nathan Weinreich

Cole McLemore stamps his fingerprint on the art piece dedicated for the seniors. All freshmen through seniors participated in the artistic chapel service.

On Monday, March 23, for freshmen and sophomores, and Tuesday, March 24, for juniors and seniors, AP Biology, AP Chemistry and Biology teacher Mr. Michael Masters led an artistic chapel service, in collaboration with several of Ms. Allison Webb’s photography club members.

The message of Mr. Masters’ service was focused on how each student has their own specific gifts and talents. Mr. Masters referenced how, when he has done chapel services in the past outside of St. George’s, he enjoyed being able to combine religion with science. During this particular chapel, he integrated biology and included a metaphor about how our individual traits are symbolic of eyes, ears and other body parts that make up a human body, even bringing a Mr. Potato Head doll to exemplify.

After explaining this, Mr. Masters, along with Ms. Webb and a photography representative from the freshmen, sophomore, and junior classes, led an artistic activity to demonstrate this. Row by row, each high school student stamped their finger in ink and printed their fingerprint onto the art piece, with the help of photography club members Hagan Imorde, Anna Darty and Karina Jensen.

“Mrs. Webb emailed [us], and we met one day after school to talk about the plan with Mr. Masters,” said Darty. “We each gave our own opinions on how the piece should look like, so I’m really excited to see the final piece.”

The piece, which will symbolize one body of the upper school, will be hung in the Agape Chapel after it is finished being finalized.