Collierville Campus lags behind in Green Cup Challenge

Four green stars hang in Mr. Kyle Slaterys room on the Collierville Campus to show his efforts to reduce energy. St. Georges participated in the Green Cup Challenge last year as well.

Photo: Miriam Brown

Four green stars hang in Mr. Kyle Slatery’s room on the Collierville Campus to show his efforts to reduce energy. St. George’s participated in the Green Cup Challenge last year as well.

For the past two weeks, all three St. George’s campuses have been participating in the Green School Alliance’s Green Cup Challenge. The challenge, led by the Great Outdoors Program Advisor Mr. William McClain, began on Jan. 14 and will continue through Feb. 11.

Over the last two weeks between all three campuses, $1,085 has been saved. This week, the Memphis Campus has had a 41.8 percent reduction total. The Germantown Campus follows with a 23.4 percent reduction. The Collierville Campus, however, only had a 3 percent reduction this week.

“The Collierville campus is at a slight disadvantage because they were participating in this challenge during this time last year” said Mr. McClain. “So they are building on those improvements, but they can do better than 3 percent.”

Students and teachers can help participate by turning off lights in bathrooms when empty, turning off the overhead lighting, opening blinds to allow for more natural light and charging laptops at home. On Friday, the “Ski Bunny and Sno-Bro” day of the high school’s spirit week, the heat will be turned down.

Classrooms on the Memphis and Collierville Campuses who have made an effort to reduce their energy usage will receive green stars to track their progress. Classrooms on the Germantown Campus have been receiving paper lightbulbs.

“While our first week of the challenge was good, this past week was even better,” Mr. McClain said.