The Lodge

Freshman Dynasty triumphs over sophomore rivals

Dynasty and Pterodactyl players prepare for the ball as they head back into the game. The Dynasty won against the Pterodactyls 25-24 and stormed the court after the buzzer sounded.

Photo: Maggie Vento

Photo: Maggie Vento

Annie Vento, Sports Editor/Copy Editor

On Sunday, Jan. 11, the St. George’s ninth and tenth grade recreational basketball teams went head-to-head, and the freshman team emerged successful within the last minute of the game, winning by one point at 25-24.

“It was a standoff from the moment the two teams arrived,” said freshman Winston Margaritis. “No words were spoken until each team grazed the court.”

Members of both teams, specifically freshmen Bennett Barousse and Margaritis and sophomores John Carter Hawkins and Robert Grissom, spread excitement of the game to their grades via email, claiming that it would be “the biggest game of the century.”

Although the freshman Dynasty and the sophomore Pterodactyls both headed into the game determined to win, the Pterodactyls kept a steady lead on the Dynasty for almost the entire game. However, during the last minute of the game, the Dynasty made a comeback to win the game.

“Late in the game, we knew how important and vital the game was and decided that we were going to defy all odds and shut down the Pterodactyls,” said freshman Griffin Gillam on the win.

With 25 seconds left in the second half, Lathan Spadafora stole the ball and, through his trick move around Pterodactyl Will Ryan, made the shot that brought the Dynasty up two points and allowed them to win.

“I’m not mad, just disappointed,” said sophomore Graham Sisson, who is known as “G Money” by his team. Losing the game brought the Pterodactyl’s current season record to 4-3, while the Dynasty currently holds a record of 3-6 for this season.

Both teams have remained avid in keeping their grade up-to-speed with their games and scores. Hawkins runs the Twitter account for the Pterodactyls as @dactylbball and sends out weekly updates to the sophomore class, and new student Barousse tweets for the Dynasty through @SGISDynasty.

“Although we, The Dynasty, were destined to lose and thought to be a practice game for the Pterodactyls,” said Gillam, “we came together as a group and played as a whole to pull out the W.”