Potential junior, senior Wellness class in the works

Photo: Anna Marie Beard

A new Wellness class for juniors and seniors is being considered. The class was planned to only take place during the first four periods of the day.

Eleventh and twelfth graders recently received a survey regarding a potential, optional Wellness class. The idea for an upperclassmen Wellness class has been in the works for a while, and the survey was intended to measure student interest in such an opportunity.

“Coach Whicker and Coach Foy initially pitched this idea towards the end of last year, and I think we’re at a point now where we can take a look at it,” Upper School Director Tom Morris said, who originally sent out the survey.

The class would be distinct from ninth and tenth grade Wellness in that it would not be mandatory. Rather, students who wanted to exercise for sports or their own physical fitness could sign up to go during an independent study block.

The class would take place during the first four periods of the day. Ideally, this would make it easier for students with morning workouts who have to leave their house very early, or had conflicting plans for afternoon workout time.

“The goal, hopefully, is to be able to roll it out right after Christmas Break,” Mr. Morris said.

Students’ responses were mixed.

“I personally wouldn’t use it, I can understand some people who would, who maybe have to commute longer distances and have to wake up a couple hours earlier… but it just isn’t something that really is worth giving up a study hall for,” junior Carter Burgess said.

Senior Molly McEwan said that though she liked the idea of having a Wellness class, she would prefer one later in the day so that she could get all of her schoolwork done in the morning and finish the day with her workout.

Yearbook teacher and volleyball coach Emmy McClain was enthusiastic about this new opportunity.

“Doing something active during the workday helps your brain; it helps you think better, it helps you process information,” Mrs. McClain said.

Mrs. McClain said that, so long as a student was able to use the time well and the class did not make their academic life harder, it would be a great opportunity.

Senior Roxanna Wood expressed some reservations about the usefulness of an early-morning Wellness class. She said that if she were to have a Wellness class, she would prefer for it to be at the end of the day, so she wouldn’t have to get ready for school twice.

“I think it would be cool if it were a class focused more on […] how to live a healthy lifestyle,” Wood said. “So many people in the St. George’s student body exercise on their own… so I feel like it would be so much more beneficial to teach a life skills class.”