Athletes reveal possible correlation between athletics and academic standing

Photo: Zach Obaji

Senior Anna Weaver works out while she does her school work. Last year, she played golf and lacrosse for the school while maintaining high academic standing.

Maintaining adequate grades is a full-time job on its own. However, many of our students also have athletic commitments to juggle alongside their academics.

Senior Gryphon swimmer Lindsay Mouhot believes that students tend to perform better academically while on a team.

“I think having good exercise causes you to have a healthy mind, enabling you to perform better academically,” said Mouhot.

Ms. Jill Reilly, the Dean of Upper School Students, also believes that athletics make it easier for students to perform well in their classes.

“I believe that when people are engaged in an activity outside of school, they are more likely to manage their time wisely in order to fulfill all of their responsibilities,” said Ms. Reilly.  “Sports, like the other activities, also require the participant to learn to work as a team and to listen to and learn from another caring adult.”

On the contrary, senior Anna Dunavant claims that she does worse academically during her sports season.

“I don’t succeed as much in school during my tennis season because I don’t have enough time and energy to complete my homework,” said Dunavant.

Student Logan Parsons believes that athletics have no effect regarding his performance in school.

“I’ve never been through a trimester without playing a sport, so I don’t know what people mean by this,” said Parsons.

Assistant Dean of Students, Ms. Kayla Irvin, had a different, more thorough approach to the topic.

“My personal experience finds the routine of an in-season sport beneficial to academic success in several ways,” said Ms. Irvin. “When you are intentionally accountable to your coaches and teammates, this adds a layer of encouragement and support to the academic realm as well.”

According to school policy, if a student is placed on academic probation for poor grades, they will not be able to participate in athletic events. This policy encourages students to carefully plan out their academic and athletic responsibilities.