Arts Awareness celebrates St. George’s performers and artists

Allie+Harbert%2C+the+Cat%2C+and+Jack+Vento%2C+Thing+1%2C+promote+the+upcoming+musical%2C+Seussical%2C+by+dressing+in+their+costumes+for+the+show.+Additionally%2C+Murry+Goldberg+and+Emma+Pounders+represented+the+musical+at+the+football+game.++

Photo: Annie Vento

Allie Harbert, the Cat, and Jack Vento, Thing 1, promote the upcoming musical, Seussical, by dressing in their costumes for the show. Additionally, Murry Goldberg and Emma Pounders represented the musical at the football game.

The St. George’s Collierville campus celebrated the arts with the Arts Awareness event on Friday, Oct. 24. Students, parents, and faculty gathered together to celebrate theater, music, and visual arts.

To kick off the night, the upper school choir, led by Mr. Dennis Whitehead, performed two medleys. They split up into two groups, boys and girls, and sang songs from the film Pitch Perfect. The boys sang a rendition of Don’t Stop the Music by Rihanna, and the girls sang a mash-up of Just the Way You Are by Bruno Mars and Just a Dream by Nelly.

“I think it was a great publicity thing for our chorus, and if you would like to see more, we will be singing at the open house on Tuesday,” said Robert Grissom, a member of the bass section.

The upper school band also entertained their audience before the football game by walking around the outside of the field and playing music that fit to their recently-introduced New Orleans style. They were led by their new instructor, Mr. Tom Link.

Joining the band while they played were characters from the upcoming middle and upper school musical, Seussical. Not only was there a wooden cutout where people could stick their head into the open spaces and take pictures as Seussical characters, but Murry Goldberg, Allie Harbert, Emma Pounders, and Jack Vento dressed up as their characters from the play in order to promote it. Performances for Seussical will be held on Nov. 14 through 16 at the Germantown campus.

In the art department, Ms. Rose Doherty and Ms. Allison Webb hosted the Gryphon Student Art Show, which is currently displaying art in the fieldhouse by both middle and upper school students, including Caroline Green, James Harris, Jada Hines, and Carly Owens. Friday’s event was the opening night for the art show, and it will be open to all until Nov. 25.

The Arts Awareness event was followed by the varsity football game against Harding Academy, which St. George’s won 9-7, with a field goal from Graham Hawthorne at the last second.