St. George’s shakes things up with new half-day schedule

Photo: Katie Boyle

Students strategize while playing Risk on the half-day before Fall Break. On the half-day, students participated in two sessions of classes based on their interests.

This year, instead of attending a shortened class schedule on half-days, students attended an elective of their choice offered by a faculty member.

“[Last year] the community consensus was that going to every single period for a really short period of time didn’t lead to any kind of learning,” said Mr. Will Bladt, the associate head of school. “The people whose parents decided to leave early for break left early for break, and everyone else was here going through the motions.”

In response, St. George’s has decided to give students a completely different experience on half-days. According to Ms. Kayla Irvin, the assistant dean of students, there are about 40 offerings for students to enroll in, ranging from cooking to gaming to art classes.

Through these exploratory classes, students are getting the opportunity to see a completely different side of teachers that they do not ordinarily see.

Eighth-grade English teacher Ms. Leanne Ricketson offered a Scrabble class.

“I want to expose more students to how fun Scrabble can be, even though it has kind of a boring reputation,” said Ms. Ricketson.

Mr. Pat McGraw, middle school language arts teacher, offered a gaming class.

“I figure everybody in my class should be bored, so we’re doing board games,” said Mr. McGraw jokingly. “I want to make enough money in Monopoly so I can retire.”

Mr. Kyle Slatery and Ms. Beverly Brooks, however, are going a drastically different direction with their class – a tour of the sites and tastes of Memphis.

“I think being a suburban campus, I am most excited about getting to parts of Memphis that I think a lot of students don’t really get to see and encounter,” said Mr. Slatery.

Students attended their chosen classes for the first time on Oct. 7, the Wednesday before Fall Break. Students and teachers expressed excitement about what the rest of the half-days hold.

“I enjoyed both of my sessions because they were not only fun, but we also received more freedom than we normally do,” said sophomore Sydney Brown.

Ms. Genevieve Hoppe, the middle school director, said, “I’m hoping it increases people’s participation, but I think there will be some people who, because of flight prices, or distance traveled, or whatever it might be, end up leaving early anyway. However, I’m hoping it’s so powerful that kids want to be here.”