Fall blood drive is a success

Students+give+blood+during+their+free+periods.+The+fall+blood+drive+was+a+success+among+the+students+and+faculty.+

Photo: Anna Marie Beard

Students give blood during their free periods. The fall blood drive was a success among the students and faculty.

On Tuesday, October 21, St. George’s held the fall blood drive, collecting a total of 45 units of blood.

“I think after the chapel talk with the guest speaker, [the blood drive] caught attention from both students and teachers to open their eyes and to see how much a pint of blood could do for a person who needs it,” said student leader and senior Sarah Moon.

The chapel dedicated to the blood drive excited the faculty and student body and provided awareness for just how important donating blood can be. St. George’s had a great turnout in terms of donations and positive attitudes towards giving back.

“I just want to help people who need it [blood],” said junior Connor Funck while waiting to start his prep work before donating.

“I want to give blood so that I can help other people and the community,” said junior Sutton Hewitt, who was in the waiting area alongside Funck. Another junior, Payton McGough, said he gave blood because of his rare blood type, O negative.

Despite the positive turnout, some had a less pleasant experience while donating. Mrs. Heidi Rubín de la Borbolla felt light-headed after her donation, and junior Zarina Umarov had trouble finding a large enough vein and felt queasy after her donation. However, the student body agrees that the blood drive was an overall great experience and loved giving back.

In order to give blood, students had to qualify by being 16, over 115 lbs., and in good health. After getting permission from parents or guardians, a time is then scheduled to donate.

Once the student shows up to the senior lounge, the process begins: brief information is read, a short quiz is taken, temperature is taken, blood pressure is taken, a finger is pricked for iron levels, and finally the pulse is taken. After the preparatory work has finished, the donor sits back in a chair while giving blood, eats a few snacks, and then heads back to class.