Showcasing Students at the Art Show

In past years the art show has been geared towards professional artists. This year it opened up to students.

Photo: Snowden Farnsworth

Student artist Chloe Lewis paints at the art show. This display was one of many student showcases.

The school is bustling with life even though it’s a Saturday. The American Music Ensemble plays a song, the theatre performs a segment of their play, poems are read. It is the final day of the annual art show.

The art show has been a recurring event for years, and it has always served as a way to integrate St. George’s with the greater artistic community of Memphis, from hobbyists to professionals. In fact, some artists, like Justin Stroupe, exclusively sell their art at the show.

I do it as a hobby. I don’t even really do it to sell it. And it’s sort of piling up,” Stroupe said. 

Even though the artists might not be the most famous in the world, the art is no joke. Pieces at the show were selling for $900 or more. Instead of money, many of the artists are driven to do their work by what it means to them and other people.

“I enjoy doing the art show because I know that the work that I have is going to people who will really enjoy,” Stroupe said, “it’ll look beautiful in their homes and they’ll take care of it and they’ll enjoy it for a long time.” 

This year, the show is different from what it has been in the past, though. From performance to live painting, students are taking part in the activities.

Sophomore Chloe Lewis is one of the first students to sell their own artwork as a collection in the show. Increased student involvement in the show is exciting to both the students and the artists. 

“I’m really excited to see everybody here participating in some form of art,” Lewis said,  “whether it be singing, band, drama or fine art, and I’m excited to see how the St. George’s community is able to really show their talent.” 

Some students wish they could be more involved, though. 

“While I do love the art show and that it sells professional art,” senior and art club president Natalie Murrah said, “I think that students should have a little bit – should have a little bit more space to sell their own art as well if they so choose to.”

Murrah’s hopes are shared by many, but only time will tell how much further the integration of student work with professional art will go.