Ali Mills Tennis Tournament receives huge help

Juniors+gather+to+volunteer+for+the+Seventh+Annual+Ali%E2%80%99s+Cup+Tennis+Tournament.+Students+served+as+ball+boys+and+girls+for+their+own+individual+team+during+matches.+

Photo: Kate Seabrook

Juniors gather to volunteer for the Seventh Annual Ali’s Cup Tennis Tournament. Students served as ball boys and girls for their own individual team during matches.

Over 65 students from the Class of 2016 volunteered Tuesday, Sept. 30, to help out with the Seventh Annual Ali Mills Tennis Tournament at tennis courts all over Memphis.

Headed by Jill Seabrook and supported by Nancy Mills, Ali Mills’ mother, the junior class was invited to volunteer and serve as ball kids for the day. The tournament was spread out between five locations including: St. George’s, Ridgeway, Windyke, Southwind, and C.O. Franklin. Students spent the day on the tennis court retrieving balls, carrying bags and reporting scores.

“It was really fun to watch them play and I felt really good afterwards for helping,” said junior Hannah Cooper.

The early morning began with breakfast at the Lightman Tennis Center, followed by volunteer service to the tennis players, and ended with several door prizes in reward. All the funds collected from the event went to the Ronald McDonald House as a donation.

After last year’s volunteer group got rained out, the 2014 volunteer group was a success and received outstanding support and commitment.

“I thought the Ali Mills was really fun and it was a really great service opportunity,” said junior Jane Shelby Bragg.

Members of the junior class say that it was an incredible opportunity and they are so glad they did it.

“My favorite part was being able to help out Mrs. Mills and volunteer for a good cause,” said junior Stephen East.

Mrs. Seabrook said she was overcome with gratitude for the volunteers and was excited about the willing attitudes behind everyone. The students have reported that the whole event was a blast and was an unforgettable opportunity.