Change is afoot

iPads+at+the+front+desk+photographs+students+checking+in+or+out.+Changes+at+St.+Georges+include+this+new+checkout+procedure+to+ensure+student+accountability.+

Photo: Zach Obaji '15

iPads at the front desk photographs students checking in or out. Changes at St. George’s include this new checkout procedure to ensure student accountability.

Going from humble contributors on our school newspaper to the Editors-in-Chief has been quite a change for us. Filling the void that last year’s fearless leader Regan left has definitely been a tough job with big shoes to fill.

This transition to being the leaders of not only the paper, but also leaders of the school as seniors has led us to the rather abrupt realization that change is indeed a part of life. It will happen whether we want it to or not, and so, sometimes we have to accept it and move forward.

Not only is change a part of every day that we live, it is also part of our school. St. George’s has undergone a lot of changes as the school year has begun and we have all our strong opinions on what has been altered this year.

The school is changing. From new dining, to new faculty members, to new policies, and to new online systems, some have said that they find St. George’s to be rendered almost unrecognizable.  For those of us who have been here for years, we are used to the occasional change, but this year seems to be require more adapting.

All of these new adjustments have become very apparent to us ever since the school year began; however, after reflecting on our time here at St. George’s we realized each year comes with its share of big changes.

There are little ones beginning their first year of kindergarten. This is a big deal! Not only are we all undergoing these small changes in the school system but there are some of us who are just starting school for the first time.

6th graders are starting their first year of middle school. Personally, we would consider middle school to be the biggest challenge in our school careers. These were the years you figured out what your identity as an adult may look like. I think those of us who have made it out of middle school will acknowledge it was a tough time, full of change.

Freshmen are starting their first year of high school. With the move to the upper school comes a lot more independence and the transition comes with the realization that college is not that far off, and that now, their grades do matter.

And finally the seniors. The biggest change in our lives so far is just around the corner. We are all facing our college decision. In a year, we will no longer live with our families, we will be with new groups of people. However, St. George’s is a place that embraces and encourages change for the better. St. George’s connects change with personal growth.

Some people love change and thrive in new situations. We will readily admit that we are not always so confident in the outcome when it comes to changes that heavily affect our lives. However, it is true that acclimating to change is a difficult necessity. Our St. George’s family has risen to the challenge and pressed on in the implementation of these changes, and we will continue to do so this school year.