New Carpet, New You

Adoption of Flik results in redesigned lunchroom

Students+use+the+new+Flik+setup.+This+corner%2C+formerly+dedicated+to+microwaves%2C+now+houses+panini+presses.+

Photo: Anna Marie Beard

Students use the new Flik setup. This corner, formerly dedicated to microwaves, now houses panini presses.

One of the many changes resulting from the switch to Flik Independent School Dining Services is the adoption of a new lunchroom design. Several of these changes are very visible, such as the addition of panini presses where the microwaves were previously, or the movement of the silverware dispensary. Others have been more subtle, such as relocation of the soup line, or the new carpet. Many students have been in favor of these changes.

“It looks fresh and clean,” said senior Murry Goldberg.

“It looks really nice,” said Kate Stoddard, another senior. “I like Flik a lot better than Sodexo.” Other students echoed their opinions, adding that they especially enjoyed having a cleaner carpet.

Goldberg said that the previous carpet was so dirty that it “made your socks as black as the night sky.”

Stoddard said that the previous carpet was “really gross… with food and dirt mashed into it.”

Ms. Hillery Efkeman, a librarian, said, “I really like where they have the silverware in the dining room now because it improves the flow [of traffic] and you only get what [silverware] you need.” The silverware had previously been inside the food dispensary, at the beginning of the “hot lunch” line. It is now located roughly in the center of the dining room.

Some students were not entirely satisfied with the changes.

“I don’t like the fact that they don’t have a chocolate milk fountain,” said senior Chris Dinicolantionio.