Veracross receives mixed feelings

All old school systems are combined into one

Photo: Courtney Harshbarger

Senior Cole McLemore and sophomore Henry Adkins struggle with Veracross. Students raised many complaints about the system.

The student information system Veracross is replacing sixteen school systems this year in an attempt to improve school operation, but many students are unhappy with this change.

The bulk of complaints from students were regarding the differences between Veracross and the student portal from previous years. Since it is so early in the year, the only functions that students have been able to use are class webpages, but eventually they will be able to see any other information they may need.

This new system has the capacity to carry out the functions of the old student portal as well as those of fifteen other school systems that were previously used separately from each other. As problems arise, solutions are sought out.

“Veracross software engineers are willing to engineer the product to make it better fit the school’s needs,” said Will Bladt.

Veracross gets rid of the need for multiple people to enter the same information into different systems by providing a single program through which all facets of the school can connect and share information. Although Veracross does not have some of the specific benefits like the old systems, it will be better for the school overall.

“Everyone has to make sacrifices. However, there are all these different benefits,” said Bladt. Once the program is up and running properly, students will be able to view their grades, homework assignments, attendance and many more useful things. Many students are not optimistic about these updates.

“I don’t want to bother trying to figure out how [Veracross] works” said Henry Adkins, class of 2017.

Bladt addressed student complaints such as this by encouraging everyone to take the time to learn how Veracross operates.

“Everyone needs to have a growth mindset and be open to a different way of doing things,” said Bladt.

“There is definitely a learning curve,” said Cole McLemore, class of 2015, about the software. He did not like some things about the class webpages, but he admitted that the program was better at an overview scale than the portal had been.

Many students have complained about the new system, but software engineers are working with the school to find solutions to problems and improve the system.