Life’s what you make it

High school is a place where you can figure out who you are and develop talents outside of the classroom without the fear of judgment. Whether you are participating on a sports team, in a school play, starting a band or traveling the world, St. George’s supports and encourages these endeavors outside of the classroom. Because of this, taking advantage of these opportunities and following your passions is urgent. There is no better time than now to take on these opportunities and do what makes you truly happy.

If you are passionate about music, for example, there are a variety of opportunities you can pursue beyond solely participating in the choir. Whether it’s starting a band like Harrison Schutt of Jenette McKurdy, auditioning for the fall musical, “Bye Bye Birdie,” or making a YouTube channel with song covers, these hobbies are encouraged within the school community. Often, these students who pursue their hobbies outside of school-offered extracurriculars and clubs are honored as artists of the week in chapel, including senior Peyton Smith, who plays Conrad Birdie in “Bye Bye Birdie,” and seniors Courtney Tipton, Caroline Green and Karina Jensen, who place in art competitions outside of school.

There are also countless opportunities at St. George’s for students to strengthen character inside and outside of the classroom. St. George’s students are offered a multitude of extracurricular clubs that present the opportunity to give back to the community while growing as a person at the same time. Varsity and club sports teams, such as ultimate frisbee, allow students to grow and improve in their relationships with others, while service clubs, such as Samaritan’s Feet, seek to increase a civic engagement in the community through the collection of shoes. High school offers the perfect chance to do something good for someone else, which in return, is good for you and your outlook on life.

High school students everywhere have all been told by teachers and parents that high school will be the best time of your life. Even though this may feel impossible when you are drowning in school work and college stress, high school is what you make of it. You choose whether or not you want to pursue a hobby outside of school, you choose if you want to take advantage of volunteer opportunities and field trips offered and you choose whether or not you want to do what makes you happy. Choose to take advantage of every moment because it will be gone before you know it.