Gold and red go head-to-head

St. George’s holds first upper school field day

In place of a homecoming pep rally, the Upper School held its first annual field day in place of a homecoming pep rally on Friday, Oct. 23, led and organized by Dean of Students Mrs. Kalyn Underwood.

Grade-level advisories worked together and represented one of two overarching teams, with the red team consisting of freshmen and juniors and the gold team of sophomores and seniors.

“It was just all-around, good family fun,” junior Mason Walker said. Walker added that the battle balls were his favorite event because it mixed sports with fun and no one could get hurt.

Field day took place during seventh and eighth periods, a conclusion to the spirit week for the homecoming game that night and homecoming dance on Saturday night. Students and teachers dressed in colored leggings, face paint and other spirited attire.

The field day itself consisted of activities that many students had not seen before and led them to get outside of their comfort zone and think creatively.

One event involved students holding a live cockroach, and the winning team was whichever had more team members hold the cockroach. If an equal amount of team members held the cockroach, the tie-breaker was whichever team had someone put the cockroach on their face. Another event gave students the opportunity to throw pies at a teacher’s face, including guidance counselor Ms. Elizabeth Bran, Upper School Director Mr. Tom Morris, and ninth-grade English teacher Mr. Zack Adcock.

Among all of the events, one that received the most positive feedback from students was the “battle balls.” This event involved students playing soccer with a twist, as they were inside large plastic balls that were often larger than the students themselves. While many teams did play soccer, others spent the game time trying to knock each other over in the battle balls.

“I loved it. Bubble soccer was the most fun I’ve had in a long time,” English teacher Mr. Jamie Roszel said. “I think that Ms. Underwood deserves a lot of credit for all of her hard work. I think it was the perfect way to spend that afternoon.”

After the results were tallied multiple times, the red team, consisting of freshmen and juniors, was announced to be the winning team by four points. Students apart of the red team were allowed to wear a St. George’s t-shirt with jeans on Thursday, Oct. 29, as a reward for their win.

“I loved field day,” Prefect of Honor Sutton Hewitt said. “It was probably the highlight of my senior year, and it was a great way to bond with underclassmen, too.”