More class time needed for sex ed

Sexual education tends to be a sensitive topic in the academic world. Middle school and high school are not only for academic growth. They are also intended to help teenagers grow into well-rounded and socially aware adults. There is debate about how much sexual education should be included in this process, and what topics should be emphasized within the sex ed curriculum.

A lot of topics are touched upon in sexual education courses, but there are certain subjects that can never be reinforced enough. St. George’s currently teaches sex ed in the sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth and tenth grade levels.

The main obstacle when approaching sex ed at St. George’s, as well as many other schools, appears to be the length of time needed to convey the material.

“Three or four days is the maximum allotted for the curriculum,” Mr. Brendan Gorham said, the middle and upper school chaplain and male sexual education teacher. “Spacing it out over the trimesters would allow for more of a dialogue.”

Schools need to allow for longer span of time to give students the opportunity to ask more questions.

Another obstacle we face as a school with Judeo-Christian values is discussing an approach other than abstinence. Due to our Christian affiliation, it can be challenging.

“It is an abstinence-based program,” Mr. Gorham said. “We talk about long-term health, and the fact that abstinence is the only 100 percent guarantee to prevent pregnancy and sexually-transmitted diseases.”

Sexual education in public schools “must emphasize abstinence-until-marriage and must include HIV/AIDS and sexually-transmitted disease prevention,” according to the Tennessee Sexuality Education Law and Policy.

Independent schools are not held to a regulated standard, as the government is only able to regulate public schools. However, most private schools do follow the guidelines.

In an effort to better prepare students to potentially make their own educated decisions about their future and the realities of life, schools requires a balanced sexual education program that includes accurate information about abstinence as well as the use of contraception. The sex ed teachers at St. George’s also address the emotional aspects that come with choosing to be sexually active.

In addition, St. George’s also addresses sexual violence, including rape and harassment. Due to the short sessions that are currently  offered, lengthier sessions that include in-depth discussions would be beneficial.

“We talk a lot about sexual harassment in a dating context and outside of that dating context,” Mrs. Amy Michalak said, one of the female sexual education teachers. “We have meetings with each class in the beginning of the school year in the context of bullying and the major rules of St. George’s. We put it out there and then talk about it in the context of sex-ed.”

In St. George’s curriculum, boys are given more information about what sexual harassment is, what is considered rape and why rape is wrong. By taking more time to discuss the issues of assault and consent, students would be more aware, especially those who are about to leave for college.