The Lodge

Peanuts gang takes the stage

Junior Austin Wall sings the opening number, “You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown” Tuesday night with energy. On stage Austin embodied being cast as the start of the play, Charlie Brown himself.

The St. George’s thespians are taking you back to your childhood in the high school musical “You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown.” Opening night is tonight, Feb. 8, at 7 p.m. with additional shows happening Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

On the parents’ night performance Tuesday, Feb 6, the cast took the audience on a thrilling and hilarious flashback to the past. The show features the “Peanuts” gang singing to try to get through their everyday little-kid life. Some of their adventures include a chaotic baseball game, separation-anxiety from a favorite blanket and a daunting book report.

Of course, the main focus of the musical is on the angsty six-year old Charlie Brown, played by junior Austin Wall.

“It was quite difficult to act as a character that is so young,” Wall said, “but once you get in the groove, it’s a cinch task.”

Wall is confident that the audience will enjoy the show because of how it highlights each actor’s skills.

“The show is happy go lucky,” Wall explained, “and everyone has something they’re good at no matter how they may think.”

Senior Emma Pounders, who plays Lucy Van Pelt, thinks audiences will relate to the musical.

“Everyone really knew about Charlie Brown as a kid,” Pounders said. “They either read the books, comics, or watched the movies. It is kind of nostalgic to go see it. It has been for me at least.”

Junior Will Brown, who plays Lucy’s little brother Linus Van Pelt, agreed.

“It is a cultural icon that is charming, adorable, and cute,” Brown said.

The variety of roles in this play shows off the actors’ different strengths. Sophomore Maggie Emmendorfer, who plays Snoopy, really convinces the audience that she is the cute yet melodramatic dog. There is also Emma Pounder’s character, Lucy Van Pelt, the neighborhood bully, but also an egomaniac. Brown, in his role as Linus, got the most laughs of the night.

As a musical this is a very exciting performance, making the audience feel joyful and content. Instead of having a track to play the music, there is a small and simple orchestra that does an excellent job.

So if you want to have a good laugh and support St. George’s high school arts, come see “You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown” at the Germantown Campus in the theatre, Thursday through Saturday at 7 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m.