Flik Dining now serving St. George’s

Students+line+up+to+enter+their+pin+numbers+in+order+to+purchase+their+meals.+The+new+checkout+system+led+to+slow+lines+at+the+start+of+the+year.+

Photo: Zach Obaji '15

Students line up to enter their pin numbers in order to purchase their meals. The new checkout system led to slow lines at the start of the year.

St. George’s switched their dining service from Sodexo to Flik Independent School Dining as of this school year. The first lunch that was served provided a different experience than Sodexo had provided previously.

“The food is better quality than Sodexo” said senior Cole McLemore.

St. George’s is the first school that Flik Dining will be serving in the Southeast region. The company hopes to spread to other independent schools in the area.

Flik Dining is known for their fresh and organic ingredients that are used when preparing their meals. Their menus are designed specifically for the school that they are serving.  All of their ingredients are prepared fresh daily. This includes smoking their own meats and cutting up vegetables. Executive Chef Quan Anderson is in charge of a team of 11 chefs currently working in the St. George’s kitchens.

“We are trying to bring something new and different to St. George’s…just trying to do some upgrading” said Chef Anderson, “We are making sure that we are providing quality food and quality product each and every day”.

Upper School Director Tom Morris says the switch from Sodexo to Flik was decided by School President Bill Taylor, who is very pleased with the change.

“The move to Flik afforded the school an opportunity to partner with a company with long experience in independent schools” said Mr. Morris.

The change in dining services has been the subject of a lot of conversation among students and teachers.

“It’s something different. I’ve been teaching here for nine years and it was always the same thing,” said art teacher Danny Broadway.

New student Cecilia Cordera ’17 is pleased with the new food services and said, “I really like that there are lots of options and that a lot of it is healthy.”

Several students have expressed their disappointment at the lack of certain packaged foods, like Flamin’ Hot Cheetos.  Senior Curt Bennett said that he does miss Sodexo’s chocolate chip cookies.

Flik offers several benefits for parents as well. Parents can see what their children are buying and are able to load money onto their accounts online without having to make sure the check they sent in made it to the front desk.

“This new service is definitely and improvement” said Laura Cordera, a new St. George’s parent. “When I visited St. George’s last year, the food looked just run of the mill with Sodexo”.

The switch in dining services also meant a switch from the lunch card to the PIN number. Some students were unsure about whether they could remember their number every day.

“The pin is easy to memorize and easier than remembering my lunch card every day” said Jacob getting ’20, “it will be a good and accepted change”.