We Want You!

St. George’s history class paints portrait of wartime Collierville

Photo: Annie Vento

Juniors Jack Goodman and Austin Skinner work in class on the Collierville WWII project. The project began in November and will continue to be worked on until opening night on April 21.

This article has previously appeared in the Collierville Herald on Thursday, Nov. 17.

This winter, students in eleventh grade at St. George’s Independent School in Collierville, Tenn., are launching a research project to learn about the town of Collierville during World War II. The goal is to document how the people of Collierville contributed to the war effort and were affected by the war.

As Collierville was a small town at the time with a population of about 1,000 residents, the town serves to exemplify citizens’ war experiences in a small Southern community. The project will work to highlight the importance of the small communities’ collective contributions to the outcome of the larger war.

St. George’s students are inviting those who were residents of Collierville during WWII to share their experiences. They are especially seeking war artifacts including photographs, ration books, Red Cross meeting minutes, Boy Scout programs, school event programs and other artifacts from the time period. People interested in sharing their personal stories in the format of an oral history interview conducted by the students would be especially appreciated, as they will help students understand the lives of individuals during this time period.

The collected information and acquired knowledge will become the foundation for a student-created museum exhibit that will be showcased at the Morton Museum of Collierville History between April 21 to June 2 of 2015. Museum Director Ashley Carver will lead the students in creating the final exhibit.

If interested in sharing historical artifacts or telling their stories, and if people or their family members lived in the town of Collierville or in the nearby community during this era, please contact the St. George’s U.S. History class at [email protected].